Playa Chac Mool is one of the most popular public beaches in Cancun and one of my favorites and in this post, I will tell you all about it.
Living in Cancun, no week would go by without hitting the beach at least one time, and most of the time, my choice falls into Playa Chac Mool.
There are many reasons to like this beach, among which: the availability of parking in the proximities, relatively swimmable (not all the time), the option of renting a sunbed, the option of surfing class, good vibes.
In this guide, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about visiting Playa Chac Mool and how to make the most of your time at this beautiful stretch of beach in Cancun.
Where is Playa Chac Mool Located
I will share my favorite one here below in this article.
How to get to Playa Chac Mool
Arriving at Playa Chac Mool is a breeze, thanks to the various transportation options available. Buses, taxis, and rental cars provide easy access to the beach, allowing you to enjoy the journey to this tropical paradise.
If you’re flying into Cancun, you’ll be pleased to know that Playa Chac Mool is conveniently located within a reasonable distance from the Cancun International Airport, ensuring a smooth transition from the airport to the beach.
Getting to Playa Chac Mool by local bus
Opting for a public bus as your transportation to Playa Chac Mool is another viable choice. Catch either the R1 or R2 buses (labeled as “Zona Hotelera”) and get off near the Mayan Monkey Hostel. These buses operate regularly along Boulevard Kukulcan.
When you arrive, you’ll find yourself on the opposite side of the road. Please make sure you look well both ways before crossing, as vehicles on this road tend to move at high speeds.
When you are going back from Playa Chak Mool to Cancun, you’ll locate the bus conveniently situated alongside the beach on your side of the road.
The R1 and R2 buses maintain frequent service throughout the entire day and night. Nonetheless, I recommend refraining from visiting the beach during the nighttime hours unless it’s situated directly adjacent to your hotel and monitored by security personnel.
While Cancun is generally a secure destination for tourists, it’s wise to stay away from potentially risky circumstances.
Getting to Playa Chac Mool by car
My favorite way to move around in Cancun, is by renting a car because it gives you the freedom to go where and when you want. And, it’s safer than anything else.
Simply follow Boulevard Kukulcan, and proceed to Kilometer 10. You will find on your right hand side a Chedraui select supermarket and past that
For a hassle-free car rental, I recommend checking out Discover Cars. This platform allows you to compare rates and select the most advantageous offer, making it my preferred choice.
Discover Cars is a great Car rental search platform to compare different car rental companies and choose the one that fits your needs. With more than 70000 Reviews and an average of 4.5/5 Score, Discover Cars help you find the best Car Rental company in Cancun.
Getting to Playa Chac Mool by taxi or Uber
You can get to Playa Chac Mool by taxi but there are a few things you should know about taxis in Cancun.
- If you are already in the Hotel Zone, taxis from there are overpriced in comparison to taxis from Downtown Cancun.
- Avoid getting a taxi on the road. Use Uber, Didi, or go to a taxi stand. It’s much safer.
- You can use a taxi from downtown to the Playa Chac Mool, but they can only take you there. They won’t be able to pick you up because there is an unwritten rule that makes Hotel Zone taxi territory of specific taxis that are allowed to operate there. Odd, but true.
Travel to Playa Delfines via Uber
After many years of fights, there is now Uber in Cancun, however it is important to note that, there is still some tensions between taxis and Uber drivers so there are a few rules that you must follow.
- You can’t call an Uber if you are in proximity of hotels and places near taxi stands.
- You can’t call an Uber in the Hotel Zone (see above)
- Sometimes Uber drivers ask you if there is another taxi around otherwise they don’t pick you up, and there is always a chance to have a taxi passing by.
- You may want to try the other taxi app DIDI.
In my opinion it has become a bit stressful to use a Uber in Cancun and I switched with DIDI with whom taxi driver have made an agreement, so there is more flexibility. However the above rules still apply.
This is one of the main reasons why I love having my car rental in Cancun.
Best Time to Visit Playa Chac Mool
Any time is a good time to go to the beach, especially Playa Chac Mool. Obviously Saturdays and Sundays are the busiest and you should keep it in mind if you love peace and quiet.
Weatherwise, summers are more humid while winter are drier. If you want to learn about the best time to visit Cancun, check out my detailed article linked above.
Activities and Attractions
Playa Chac Mool is not only for sun bathing. There are also a few activities that you can do.
- Take Some Surfing class at Good Vibe Surf Cancun
- Go Paddleboarding also with the same surfing school
- Enjoy the party at Coco Bongo Beach Club!
- Take a stroll on the beach
- Enjoy sunrise
Facilities and Services
Playa Chac Mool ensures your comfort and convenience with its well-maintained facilities and services.
- Restroom facilities, showers, and changing areas are available to ensure you’re fresh and ready for your beach day.
- Although there are no beach restaurants you can find a lot of cafes and small restaurants on the Boulevard Kukulcan
- Lifeguards are stationed along the beach to ensure the well-being of swimmers and beachgoers, allowing you to relax and enjoy the water with peace of mind. However, avoid doing silly things that put yourself and others at risk (see below)
Is Playa Chac Mool Safe?
Playa Chac Mool is a safe beach but there are a few safety tips that you should consider:
- Respect the flag signs. Like anywhere in the world you will see a flag in Playa Chaa Mol and the color of the flag means the level of safety is the water, as follows:
- 🟥 RED FLAG – DO NOT SWIM – although you may not see it, there are rip currents all along Cancun Beach, in this part of the beach. If there is a red flag it means that the current is strong and it would be extremely difficult to get back to the beach
- 🟨 YELLOW FLAG – SWIM WITH CAUTION – currents are not so strong, but still there, so if you are not a good swimmer don’t enter the water. In doing so, not only you put yourself in danger but also the people around you.
- 🟩 GREEN FLAG – It means that the sea is calm and you can easily swim, which is very rare in this part of the Cancun beach. If you want to be sure you can always find the green flag you should go to Playa Langosta instead.
- Keep your personal belongings in sight. It’s a public beach with many people around. You never know who can pass by.
- Only bring the necessary stuff with you. Avoid jewelry or other valuable objects.
- Stay hydrated. Cancun it’s really hot and humid. Make sure you drink a lot of water but not tap water, it’s not drinkable.
- Wear sunscreen. Even on a cloudy day, you can get sunburned, imagine when the sun is out! Protect your skin and your vacation!
Click on one of the below water bottles to purchase your favorite one ⤵️
Hotels Near Playa Chac Mool
If you love the privacy of your own apartment and looking at fifty shades of blue from your window this place is for you.
Ocean Dream BPR offers a splendid retreat with its two outdoor pools, a dedicated diving center, and an exquisite à la carte international restaurant. Just a short 328-foot stroll away, you’ll find an array of restaurants and vibrant nightlife.
The condos feature modern amenities such as a cable TV, a safety-deposit box, and complimentary WiFi.
This hotel is also home to the Good Vibes surfing school that I have talked about earlier.
If you are more of a resort type of person look no further than the Royalton Chic All Inclusive resort, a spectacular and relatively new luxury resort to get you pampered throughout your vacation.
This hotel is not right on the Chaac Mol Beach but a walking distance. You will also be close to plaza la Isla and Coco Bongo.
If you are looking for a cheap accommodation in Cancun you can check out Mayan Monkey Hostel. This cute hostel located on the Nichupte’ lagoon right opposite to the Chaak Mol beach. I visited this hostel and I loved the common areas including the bar and coworking space, the small pool over the terrace overlooking the lagoon.
If you are looking for a more intimate accomodation they also have private rooms but the price increases significantly and you will have to book way in advance as they have limited availability. It’s located right across the entrance to the Chaac mol beach.
How to visit Playa Chac Mool, final thoughts.
Playa Chac Mool in Cancun is one of the beautiful beaches in Cancun, and I hope my tips have been useful to help you build your trip and enjoy your vacation!